Friday 11 October 2013

Roly Poly softie

Roly Poly softie was made for Arielle Ford, author of The Soulmate Secret, and she will use these plushie  to demonstrate a myth in her presentations.

Arielle told me the story in a few sentences:
"According to Plato's Symposium, there is an ancient myth that long before we humans were on earth, there were these roly poly beings with 4 arms, 4 legs and 2 sets of genitalia that rolled around the planet happy as can be.  Zeus was jealous and claimed he wasn't getting enough respect from them so he took out his sword and cut them in half, which is why we seek to re-discover our "soulmate", our other half, so we can be complete again."

The stuffed dolls demonstrates the story: it starts off as a round being that comes apart in the middle to show that there are two hearts and two fig leaves. The two heads had to be identical, not male or female - as unisex as possible, both with curly hair and blue eyes. (I can't help it, but I always had a feeling that one of the faces looked more masculine, the other one more feminine - sorry, Arielle :-))

I loved making these custom dolls as they were something absolutely brand new for me. I learnt a lot about magnets for example. And about jointed softies - it was the first time I used this technique, and it was so exciting to make the last step = point of no return...


 
A short video that I made for Arielle to be able to see how the dolls  works:

(Arielle Ford könyve magyarul is kapható: A lélektársad titka)

No comments:

Post a Comment